1. General information
The main purpose of the award is to establish and reinforce the topic of sustainability in architecture, civil engineering and environmental engineering education in universities.
The International „iiSBE Panek Award” is organized by iiSBE, the International Initiative for a Sustainable Built Environment (www.iisbe.org).
The competition is open to university students in Master’s and Doctoral degree programs in architecture and civil and environmental engineering completing a thesis made during the three-year period July 2013 – June 2016.
Jury will be composed of at least 5 members. Nominations will be entered by iiSBE.
The jury is committed to objectivity. Individual jury members not bound by directives from the organizers. The jury is directed to decide independently, incontestably and definitively on all relevant criteria for thesis excellence e.g. originality of the concept, methods used, reliability of the verification, potential impact etc. The jury is obligated to carry out their work objectively and in accordance with the competition guidelines, and as such assumes responsibility on behalf of the organizers and participants for fairness.
Obligation to Confidentiality
The consultation of the jury is not public. All jury members, preliminary evaluators, and any persons involved in administrating the competition are obligated to keep all deliberations regarding the competition strictly private until the results of the jury are officially made public.
Exclusion from Evaluation
Submissions that do not fulfill the conditions of the competition are to be excluded from evaluation by the examiners and/or jury. Decisions made by the jury shall be final. Applicants will have no right to legal recourse.
2. Competition Schedule and Location:
- All questions are to be submitted by email addressed to email@example.com
- Submission deadline –
June 3, 2016extended June 8, 2016
- Decision jury meeting – June 21, 2016
- The awards ceremony will take place at the word CESB Conference in Prague 2016 – June 22, 2016
3. Registration and Submissions
Registration for the „Aleks Panek Award” has to be done online at www.panekaward.org. Participants can access online registration forms and competition documentation for the „ Aleks Panek Award” on the website www.panekaward.org, beginning with April, 2015.
It is possible to register maximum 4 theses from one university (2 Masters, 2 doctoral).
- University makes preliminary registration into the competition (free of charge)
- University appoints local jury at university level.
- Students submit their theses to the local round at university level
- Each university can select up to two best master theses and two dissertations for submission to the competition.
- Thesis are be submitted to the international competition (current edition organized by the Czech Technical University in Prague).
- The organizers of the international competition assign jury from iiSBE which selects the winners.
The winners will be announced at some international event (in current edition CESB 16 Prague conference).
The submitted project must be presented in a comprehensive and understandable fashion by means of:
- An abstract (maximum one half page A4 letter size paper)
- A summary of the thesis (minimum 5 and maximum 10 pages, A4 letter size paper)
- One or two posters B0 format, 70 x 100 cm
- Original thesis in pdf format
The official competition language for abstract, summary and poster is English.
The preferred language for the original thesis is also English but it can be submited in a national language.
4. Categories, Topics and Awards
The competition is open to university students in two categories
1. Master´s degree programs
2. Doctoral degree programs
A thesis should be focused on sustainability in built environments including (but not limited to) the following topics:
- New buildings
- Urban development
- Innovative construction materials research
- Renovation, modernizations and refurbishments of existing buildings and districts
- Integration of new technologies to improve the sustainability of buildings
- Industrial heritage regeneration
- Other topic addressing sustainability issues in built environment
4.3 Awards description
The competition is divided into two categories: Master’s and Doctoral level theses finalized between July 2013 – June 2016.
Prize will be awarded to the best thesis from each category as follows:
- 1st Place – 1000 € + free conference fee to WSBE conference (in current edition to SBE17 Hong-Kong)
- 2nd Place – 500 €
- 3rd Place – 250 €